Tuesday 23 May 2017

The Weeping Angel of Dresden and the Memorial Chapel





Robert H. Lee (1915-2007)
The Weeping Angel
Presented to the Frauenkirche in 1998

British Artist, Craftsman and Prisoner of War in Freital,
whose love of Dresden never dimmed. Carved in lime
wood, painted and distressed, the Angel aims to represent
the sorrow and suffering of the survivors. It is the artist's
personal tribute to the beauty of Dresden and his expression
of respect for the people of Saxony, whose pain he shared.

Another place of worship in Dresden is the Cathedral of the Bishopric Dresden-Meissen built by the Italian architect Gaetano Chiaveri in late baroque style and completed in 1754. This building was also destroyed by bombs on the 13th February 1945.

Reconstruction began immediately following the war's end.

The Pieta in the daylight-flooded Memorial Chapel was created from Meissen porcelain by Friederich Press in 1976.




Dear Lord,
we have lost the means. 
We waiver from one side 
to another
and find no foothold.

Give us your hand, O Lord,
and lead us out of the darkness -
you know the way. 

Dear Lord, I thank you,
that I may come to you -
with my joy
and my sorrow,
with my faith
and my doubt,
with my plans
and my lack of direction.

I can tell you everything.
I can ask you for anything.
You listen to my prayers sometimes
differently than I would like -
but always,
that it may serve me the best. 


4 comments:

  1. A unique man of this country in a unique position to have seen Dresden before and after the bombing. I love his carving and that he was honoured by Dresden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbelievable how Dresden has risen from the ashes. I went into two destroyed and resurrected churches, the other one being the cathedral which I will try to show tomorrow. It's a lovely city and the Semper opera which I went to has the best acoustics I've experienced anywhere. One snag -hundreds of cyclists darting about the city centre are a constant hazard for the unwary pedestrian,

      Delete
    2. I just found a lovely interview video at www.roberthlee.co.uk

      Delete
  2. Love the carving and I do like Dresden, we have only passed through for a day, hopefully we will be back again soon. Who wrote that prayer, Gwil? It could fit every honest and longing soul along the roads of life today. Simple, clear and honest.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.