Friday 15 March 2019

Ringing the bell for a Welsh Princess


A few days ago I had a try at bell ringing in Lincolnshire.

It was my first time.

It wasn't in a cathedral.  It was in the Lincolnshire church shown below.

I joined a cheery bunch of bell ringers in a tower by candlelight.

And there was a pint of real ale after.

There were six bells and I was privileged to be allowed to join in for a short time.

I don't imagine I'll be ringing again in that dusty confined and crowded space. I much prefer to enjoy the sounds of the bells in the open air outside.






The monument adjacent to the graveyard was erected in memory of the last princess of Wales whose name was Gwenllian.

Her name is inscribed on a piece of Welsh slate. Gwenllian died here in the 13th century.

I was interested in visiting this place as the princess and I were both born near the same spot in Wales.

As a one year old  Gwenllian was taken to the abbey (as it was then) for her own safety because there were assassination threats.

The princess became a nun and died here aged just over fifty. She knew no other life.

It is reported that a similar stone to Gwenllian in Wales has been vandalized.

It's deplorable that vandalism of our memorials is increasing.





9 comments:

  1. Interesting history about the princess. There must be a big story there. Satisfying that you were able to make the pilgrimage successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. The large stone looks like a nun from the side but I couldn't get the angle to capture it with the camera. The building has no electricity and the church part was locked. The bell ringers have a key for the tower. I forgot to say it was on Ash Wednesday.

      Delete
    2. That photo of the stone was taken in the morning. When we came back at night for the ringing the place was pitch black. You have to go a few hundred yards along a track across fields to the church. There are no houses nearby.

      Delete
  2. Do tell me where the church in the photograph is please Gwil. It is my home county. I know the cathedral well as I went to the Girls' High School on Greestone Stairs, almost adjacent to the Cathedral ( and my brother worked at the Cathedral for the last ten years or so of his life) - but the church photograph looks vaguely familiar too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. We searched high and low in the cathedral but couldn't spot the Lincoln imp. Then we had a little walk on Steep Hill. An icy wind was blowing on that hill so we decided to move on.

      The church in the photo is called St Andrews Church, Sempringham.

      Delete
  3. Gwil, the Lincoln Imp is in the Chancel, very high up. Facing the altar he is on the left hand side.
    Sempringham - I know where it is but have not been in the church there, so obviously I only thought I recognised it.
    As for the wind up there is Castle Square - it is always very windy up there I am afraid - high up (for Lincolnshire) and everywhere for miles around at more or less sea level - nothing to stop the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We read that he was high up on the left side as you describe but try as we might we couldn't spot him. There were 'life size' replicas on the souvenir shop so we got to see a copy close up.

      Delete
  4. __ Amplified legends, or truths... they forever cause our thoughts to wander back, to honor that of history. _m

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.