Saturday 12 May 2018

Robert Musil's Flypaper begins . . . .


The flypaper Tangle Foot is about thirty-six centimeters long and twenty-one centimeters wide. It is coated with a poisonous yellow glue and comes from Canada. If a fly were to land on it - not particularly from curiosity, but more from convention because so many others were there - the outer extremities of her bent legs would be the first of her parts to be held fast. A very light and strange sensation, as if you were to walk in the dark and step on something with your naked soles, that was nothing more than a soft, warm, unclear resistance; but then you realized with a gradual and terrible human realization, that something you'd imagine as a hand somehow lay there, and had with five growing evermore distinct fingers held you fast . . .

This above is not a literal translation from the German but merely an exercise I have done because I cannot find what I consider a flowing translation of this first paragraph of Das Fliegenpapier. Translations are new works, as Thomas Bernhard said, and therefore a translator while keeping closely to the original text must be prepared to bring the same poetic quality to bear as he finds in the original, particularly with a great writer like Musil. It's not enough to merely translate. Yesterday, Saturday, I ordered an English copy of Hesse's Das Glasperlenspiel, and I'm hoping for the best. I think it's by Vintage Classics so it should be a good translation. It'll be waiting for me in my local bookshop on Tuesday afternoon.


ps: There's more than one way to buy a book. Please support your local bookshops. If you don't you'll sooner or later be stuck with one way.

Choice is important.




4 comments:

  1. I do agree with your attitude to support my local bookshop Gwil but my nearest is in the beautiful, but very hilly Richmond, ten miles away. I can - and sometimes do - drive there, but then I have to find a parking place and walk to the shop - something my mobility will not always allow - so Amazon it is, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you not order a book from your bookshop in Richmond by telephone or email and ask them to send it to you? I've ordered books from shops in the UK and they've posted them here. Maybe it's a pound or two more than Amazon but I feel it's money well spent.

      Delete
  2. Sadly all shops are being lost because of on-line ordering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real shame. Shops were part of the community, people went there to chat, there'd often be a couple of chairs in the corner, but now in many areas the 'shops' or 'outlets' are far away. I was recently reading about a village, near the Danube, where the nearest grocery outlet, an impersonal supermarket, was more than 25 kms distant. The grocer, the baker, and the candle-stick maker, and even the sellers of books, are an endangered species.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.