Sunday 2 September 2018

Brexit and the 1% minority




There are presently 24 official languages in the European Union. One of them is English. 

After Brexit in 2019 the number of people in the EU with English as their first language will be 1% of the total EU population according to an article in one of the Austrian weekend papers.

Many of the EU's controllers can barely speak a passable version of the Rolls Royce of languages.

The EU controller-in-chief when J-C Juncker's term ends is slated to be a German. I hope he has a better command of English than his predecessor.

I for one shall wear my 1% English minority badge with justifiable pride.




ps - Cymraeg, that is to say Welsh, was never an official EU language. It was always categorized as a semi-official EU language. I shall wear my no longer semi-official red dragon emblem on my heart with unbounded pride as I always have done.




4 comments:

  1. I believe English is one of a few official procedural languages of the EU. I hope Mrs May is claiming is back for us or at least using it to deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everything had to be translated into 24 languages ... well, the mind boggles.

      Delete
  2. I loved that they produced the crime-tv series 'Hinterland' as two films: English and - new film, not only language! - Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it makes more sense than google translate which makes hardly any sense. A friend of mine often jokes about translations: What's German (for example) for cylinder head gasket :-)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.