Sunday 28 October 2018

John Cage on the Radio



This morning on the radio, to open the 31st Wien Modern there was a live performance by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra  of John Cage's 1952 composition 4'33".

It's about 0˚K. 

I listened to the silence attentively. I imagined irate radio listeners phoning the broadcaster ORF to complain and to ask why there was no music on their radios!

The 31st Wien Modern concerts are at 29 different locations throughout Vienna from today until 30th November.

The theme for 2018 is security (Sicherheit). 



Three or four years ago at Wien Modern I bumped into Accrington's composer Harrison Birtwistle at the Wiener Konzerthaus.   We chatted like old pals until someone arrived to remind him he had some other things to do, like preparing for the evening's performance of his work. I guess that's my Wien Modern highlight (so far).


5 comments:

  1. John Cage's work is important. The sound of the surroundings are the music and will always be different. I like it. It concentrates the mind to what is going on around us, so often missed or ignored as not important, or regarded as an irritant.

    I hope you will get to listen to some of the concerts. Lucky you in Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm in agreement with you about John Cage's work. Now to the programme! Yes, we are lucky here. I think there are 34 concerts. Should be able to find something.

      Delete
  2. Ah memories Gwil - many many years ago I went with my son to see a performance of this. My son has always been a great admirer of all twentieth century music. Me? I can take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you both enjoyed it in your different ways. It's a nice thing to share with someone. People smile at each other after about two minutes into it.

      Delete
  3. I travelled down to Sheffield a few years ago to hear 4'33". The pianist who played it played a lot of other Cage works too. A great evening.

    He didn't know it but when he composed 4'33" he was arguably plagiarising Alphonse Allais.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.