Sunday 16 December 2018

31st European Film Prizes


Best film - Cold War

Best comedy  -  Death of Stalin

Best documentary  -  Bergman, a year in a life

Best film by new talent  -  Girl

Best actor  -  Marcello Fonte.  Dogman

Best actress. -  Joanna Kulig.  Cold War

Best film music. -  3 days in Quiberon

Best camera. -  Utoya 22nd July.

   The only one I've seen of the above is the film about Bergman.  Or more correctly, I saw a film earlier in the year about Bergman and I'm making the assumption that it was that.

   I hadn't realized that The Death of Stalin is a comedy.  As I'm an incurable fool when it comes to comedy I'm looking forward to that one.

   Disappointed that Lazzaro which was shortlisted didn't win anything but it was a laugh out loud comedy in many parts. Perhaps the judges were a little confused by the abrupt ending?

   For me, three or four films to look out for. I think a couple of them may be showing here already.

   I'll put them in my Christmas stocking!

   Hope you enjoy the European films in 2019.  


13 comments:

  1. Cold War was one of my favourite films of the year. And Joanna Kulig was very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. You have good judgement. Mrs G (we agree to disagree) says we have to watch the trailers! But in my experience the trailers are dramatic moments and often very unlike the film.

      Delete
    2. I just go by my gut feeling about films and whether they are to be my sort of film or not.

      Delete
    3. I did the same with Terry Gilliam's new film 'The Man who Killed Don Quixote' and yes I wasn't disappointed - it was "my sort of film".

      Delete
  2. This all makes me feel so inadequate - as though I live in the back of beyond and go nowhere. I suppose it is sheer laziness as I live very near (5 miles) from a huge cinema complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to the nearest cinema on the tram. The journey takes about half an hour. You couldn't do it quicker in a car. Sometimes I go there in the afternoons and catch the first film of the day. On Sundays they have early cinema 11:00 or so, with breakfast from 9:30.

      Delete
  3. Do they have Westlers sausages and still play Pearl and Dean music Gwil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a classic Wurstelstand on the corner nearby. Choice of two kinds of mustard on your bratwurst - sharp or sweet.

      And Irish pub across the road for football matches and the occasional fiddler or accordion player with hat on the pavement for the coin of the eu realm. No Pearl and Dean nostalgia. Sometimes a looney tunes trailer if that helps!

      Delete
  4. Sounds great Gwil. I sampled one of the bratwurst and Dunkels from one of those stands when I visited Vienna. I haven't been to a cinema for donkeys years. There's nothing wrong with looney tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can beat seeing a film on the big screen. I don't like those massive multi screen places though. So impersonal.

      Delete
  5. Top job on the race at the weekend. I love the choice of team being based on which one offered better head warmth! Congrats. CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT. Another year beckons! Hope you have an injury free 2019.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.