Tuesday 14 November 2017

Augmented Reality



The town

is up-gearing for Christmas

-  born in the stars we shall die on earth

   consumers reloaded

with special offers

and seasonal devotions -

augmented with amalgams

of self-worth reality

rushing stupid

from the office parties

into the closed museum bars -

tuesday is someone's day of rest

engineered by god

and the world  -

- a temporary exchange of ways -


as for those poets

when they went on too long

they merely licked their quills

and              made them           longer

long as Pinocchio's nose

and   longer

maybe long as a Joycean pub crawl

or a museum guide's

preamble -


O my god they are following me

and my dedication to verisimilitude -

I'm  standing  with my pencil

poised  before a very small Rubens

- a man who is an expert in the art of overwhelming -

it's hardly a seminal work -

         I think I'll slip the leash

and find the quite room

where the works

I like best

are hiding away

from from the madding

Rubens crowd -

   Jan Massys'  Merry Company 

   Reymerswale's  Money Changers 

   Hoogstraten's  Old Man at the Window

to name but three  -


before I fly
                              
         to the Seven Stars  

to cut my goulash of beef 

with a spoon.


Merry Company - Jan Massys

Money Changers - Marinus Van Reymerswale

Old Man at the Window - Samuel Van Hoogstraten


6 comments:

  1. Like your poem. Seems to me you view Christmas rather as I do - too much consumerism and too much tat. As for Rubens - I like your summing up of him as a painter. I hadn't much experience of his work before visiting Antwerp cathedral last year 'an expert in the art of overwhelming' sums him up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, and a warm and joyful welcome back to Blogland. I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength here. Best wishes from Vienna!

      Delete
  2. Interesting words following each other in channels in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rachel. I take no credit. The words find me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. word lottery
    their choice tells of worth
    a winner

    _m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Magyar. A study, a filter, a selection a manipulation and a little juggling or something like that. It's a way :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.