Friday 3 November 2017

Russian Pavilion and Others at the Venice Biennale


The Russians always put on a good show. No question about it. Don't go in without your camera.












Leaving Russia I made my way to the US where I spent maybe 10 minutes.

As I was exiting the US Pavilion it was almost midday. I was suddenly approached by an eager young man who said he was a guide and would be available at 12 o'clock to take visitors around the exhibition and explain things.

To tell the truth I hadn't been able to find anything in the US Pavilion worth photographing. Perhaps I should have accepted the young man's offer. I might have had better luck.

Here's the exterior of the US Pavilion. As you can see it wasn't exactly busy here. But the sunlight and the fallen leaves of autumn made a fine scene. Hence the photo.

I remember one time they had a damaged iron girder said to be from one of the 9/11 Twin Towers as an exhibit. It was on the ground where the brown leaves are lying in today's photograph.




A nearby pavilion lured me in. I was caught by the huge peace symbol at the front door! Hungary is ever popular with Biennale visitors.




The rainbow made from coloured glass was a hit. I had to wait patiently for the right photo.




A collection of hundreds of small paintings (approx. 3" x 4") by hundreds of Canadian artists pleased me greatly. They were displayed in a couple of small rooms off Campo San Stefano. I leave you with two of my favourites:






8 comments:

  1. looks like there's plenty to see there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often overwhelming. But this year it was mega overwhelming. Good thing I have 2 years to recover!

      Delete
  2. The US one was highly political with a message. It is not good when someone is needed to explain it, in my opinion, and representing a whole nation? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't have the wow! effect that some of the others had. In fact I only remember that it was pretty average. I mention the 9/11 exhibition as a counter point. At that one they also had an upturned military vehicle of some kind. They need to get their act together it seems to me.

      Delete
  3. I love the Red Indian cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And the colorful cow. There were simply so many, several hundred, all well chosen from presumably thousands of submissions,. They were so appealing I went round them all twice.

      Delete
  4. The Russian one is good. The images of the world, hybrids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Russian Pavilion is one of the first that visitors make for. It's always a surprise, always relevant, and always well done. I still remember things from years ago. One year they had dozens of robots covered with black cloth lined up in rows and they moved up and down at intervals as if you were watching Muslim women praying.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.