Friday 19 April 2019

Easter Saturday Newspaper


The Austrian paper Kronen Zeitung devotes pages 4 and 5 to last nights troubles in Derry/Londonderry.

The First Consequence of Brexit is that a new IRA will hinder the return of a north-south border the report says.

Yesterday, Good Friday, more than 50 firebombs were thrown at police in Derry/Londonderry according to reports. A photo shows something ablaze in the middle of a road in the vicinity of three military looking police vehicles. It appears to be in a residential area judging by the road signs.

Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU.

The blinded political class in the House of Commons don't recognize the danger says the commentary.

Every country has the right to damage itself is the final analysis.

A female journalist was 'accidentally' shot during last night's unrest. The report carries no details.

And so I've just looked for more information on my BBC News App.

Not a word.

More important at the BBC is the news that the bees of Notre Dame are safe!

Did I expect Jimmy Saville's favourite news outlet to report otherwise?

Not really.

Update:

Finally at just before 10:00 am a report appears in the 'Headlines' column on the app. It's marked as 12 minutes old.

It appears that the journalist was killed by gunshots aimed at police. Two arrests have been made.

Naturally many people outraged.

US President Bill Clinton was credited with pushing  the Peace Process. It is now falling apart due to political self interest and incompetence.



9 comments:

  1. My mother narrowly escaped death or serious injury from an IRA bomb and also from one of Mr Hitler's bombs. She lived to be 98.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world goes from bad to worse it seems to me Gwil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We mustn't lose hope! Something good might happen tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Lately I find myself avoiding the news. When I was a faithful viewer, I found myself questioning the veracity of the 'facts' that were presented. A lot of the news stories left me feeling sad or hopeless. I don't think being uninformed about current affairs is the right answer for me either though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My BBC news app is still saying suspects unknown and not yet identifying attackers - although two suicide bombers have been identified by name.

      It's not fake news. It's ' missing pieces ' news. They won't say the obvious until it becomes that they have to, and then reluctantly and with newsspeak. E.g. shooters in Ireland are flagged up as 'teenage men'.

      There's bee n another explosion near a zoo in Sri Lanka. Maybe that will wake up the BBC.

      Delete
  4. The time of "the troubles" in northern Ireland were very troubling to me. It's back like a bad dream. May that poor reporter be the first and the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junker is now talking of Merkel as his successor!

      Delete
  5. Easter Monday (BBC) 'it is not clear who carried out wave of terror bombing'

    It seems to be clear to the media in India. Since yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand why people are so outraged... I would be in their place...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.