Tuesday 24 October 2017

Jan Fabre's Glass Skull and Bone Woodpecker


Jan Fabre is internationally renowned for his wonderful bone and glass sculptures. 

I was ruined for choice when I found myself in the Jan Fabre Bone and Glass exhibition in Venezia. The exhibits were all magnifico

From several dozen examples, I selected Fabre's Skull and Woodpecker sculpture for  my 'takeaway' photograph. 




I think perhaps the woodpecker is looking inside the skull for the world's last remaining insect. The idea is not so far fetched as you might think.   A recent study showing that Germany's insect population has fallen by 75% is now yesterday's news. 

News gone and forgotten by the glass skull population, those who happened to notice the relevant paragraph at the foot of page 13 or 22 or some such number over their breakfast or coffee. 

If the Germans have sprayed a certain controversial pesticide over 45% of their land, as was mentioned on the radio the other day, that might explain it.*



The fallout from the Harvey Weinstein scandal will be on the front pages again and again. Hollywood deserves more newsprint than naked woodpeckers looking for non-existent insects inside brainless glass skulls. 



Michaelangelo Pistoletto's exhibition on the Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore is titled One and One makes Three. 


From Pistoletto's small leaflet here is part of a quote that could be applied to the woodpecker and skull:



". . La combinazione di due unita da vita a una terza unita distinta e inedita . . "

". . The combination of two units gives life to a third unit distinct and original . . "



one bony woodpecker 



one skull in glass

 life to a third 


*A few years ago in connection with the well-known plight of the bees the Minister for the Environment was asked to reveal how many tons of the most controversial insecticide had been sprayed in Austria in a particular year. His reply: "I can't say because it's a state secret."  There are now reports of traces of the same insecticide which is suspected of being carcinogenic being found in beer!!! Aren't politicians wonderful?

There's currently a photo I took of Pistoletto's Venus with Rags at Poet-in-Residence (28.10.2017). Link in links column >>>


11 comments:

  1. I am surprised about the dramatic fall in the insect rates Gwil. Modern organic farming began in Germany. I wonder if the day will ever come when pesticides and weedkillers are banned? I also read the making of silage instead of hay means that there are no flower heads for the bees to pollinate. If the bees die we have no bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was much blah blah about this matter at the EU recently. I don't know what the outcome was. I suspect not positive. I think industry wins out every time.

      Delete
  2. Gwilym,
    __ There is a parallel post on the "Crafty Green Poet" blog, and her blog is listed in my blog list. A different problem, but caused by the same common lack of human concern, or as Ayn Rand once wrote "Atlas Shrugged" a metaphor for -the shedding of a problem, that few have had the desire to confront-. _m

    use the pain
    lifes ease will follow
    natures gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magyar. I've created a link to Crafty Green Poet.

      Delete
  3. How many years of 'bad luck' must Pistoletto have accumulated over his career?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not enough apparently. I photographed Venus of the Rags which in Venezia. I'll put up on my other blog 'Poet-in-Residence'.

      Delete
  4. You selected a good image.

    Did you see the mirrors in the ceiling of Maggiore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that. About the mirrors I imagine you mean the circle of suspended mirrors. I was enthralled by them. 'Magico!'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very striking image. We live in a world that is strange indeed and only getting stranger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one striking image. And many other birds to see. All doing their own thing. I'm resurrecting poems on my other blog. Thanks again for the idea!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.