Tuesday 3 July 2018

Football friends (and Polytunnel Book Club Selection)



Tonight England  play Colombia.

These two friends will be 'watching' the match in a bar in Colombia.
They know that football can unite people and bring them great joy.
It's something to think about.


And now, for your enlightenment and amusement, here's a Russian proverb from the communist era:


                                      We pretend to work; they pretend to pay us.



I discovered this pearl of communist wisdom in a paperback travel book titled 'One Steppe Beyond - Across Russia in a VW Camper' by Thom Wheeler. I'm planning to read the tale of the 'classic caper' over the next couple of weeks, as time permits. 

There's a useful map, a double page showing the route from Tallin to Vladivostok, which coincidentally  passes through some of the more famous World Cup venues: St. Petersburg, Moscow and the wonderfully named Nizhny Novgorod! This madcap journey was undertaken in 1997 when the world, and Russia was a different place than it is today.  


You can find out more at www.summersdale.com  by clicking on Thom Wheeler's name in the list headed 'Authors'.



'This engaging tale will be an inspiration for anyone who's ever daydreamed about abandoning the humdrum and hitting the road' says John Mole, author of 'I Was a Potato Oligarch' on the back cover. 



As a certified* daydreamer myself I'm very much looking froward to reading it. 

______________
*On practically every school report of mine they would write: He is always daydreaming in class!

QED - therefore I qualify. 


ps- I'm not sure who is in charge of the newly formed Polytunnel Book Club. I think it must be Dave, but it could be Rachel. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's nobody. I suspect it's not a must to have a polytunnel such as Dave has, just a dry place to sit out of the rain and read whatever takes your fancy. Maybe the Dirty Irish Joke Book or the Uncollected Works of Shakespeare, or even a National Geographic.  I think it all began when I likened Adam Lang, a character in a thriller - The Ghost - to the British politician commonly known as Bush's poodle or marionette on Rachel's blog. The fine summer won't last forever. The rains will come one fine day and should your hard-worked garden or vegetable plot slowly turn into a muddy morass before your very eyes do not despair . . .  a good read will do very nicely. 

I've started a list. All Polytunnel Book Club fans may suggest additions to it via Comments or they may promulgate this list, or their own list, on their own blogs and thereto add their own recommendations and suggestions. When I've read the ones on the list below they will turn red. And a suitable rating will appear (as a % here). Others taking up the challenge on their blogs may want to award stars, emojis, or simply a row of ubiquitous thumbs. The choice, as they say is yours. Now I'm off to cut some brambles.  

'The Ghost' - Robert Harris    78%
'One Steppe Beyond' - Thom Wheeler
'The Potato' - Larry Zuckerman 
'The Leopard' - Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa



23 comments:

  1. Daydreamer, you're probably an air sign Gwil.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people think my head is full of air. In the stars I'm a goat. We have some goats in our park and they like to stand on the rock in the middle. They think it makes them bigger! Or maybe they just want to see the sheep in the next pen. The sheep have no rock. They don't know what they're missing.

      Delete
    2. There you go..the goat daydreaming the sheep ;)
      x

      Delete
    3. That's me. I come from a land with more sheep than people.

      Delete
  2. Its Portugal in my polytunnel at the moment Gwil. I would recommend: The Potato by Larry Zuckerman. Its the most comprehensive study of Solanum Tuberosums in the world. Be it the French kings who wore potato posies, the Potato Famine, the rise of the chip shops in industrial England.. This book is the bible of potatoes. There you go Gwil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'll put it on the list. As you're in Portugal and you like walking I've heard there's a loooong walk from Porto to S. Compostela. Must be nice. Go get yer boots on!

      Delete
  3. I am only in Portugal when I step in my Poly-tunnel Gwil. Perhaps it could be a magic poly-tunnel like Dr Who's Tardis? Funnily enough the very same walk is on my to do list next year. The Potato is a wonderful book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather in Ireland is like in Portugal this year. That's what had me fooled ;-) I've just had some boiled potatoes, cottage cheese, and a salad for lunch. Now I have to attack next door's blackberry bush which is invading my non-prickly bushes! Attack being the best form of defence in this case.

      Delete
    2. Apparently its ok to cut back overhanging branches if of trees or plants if you give them back to your neighbour. There was a none prickly blackberry bush on Gardeners' World last week. I watch it mostly for Monty's dogs: Nellie and Nigel.

      Delete
    3. O. I didn't think I'd need to give them back. I've disposed of them now. Anyway, why would anyone want them. They're dangerous. The barbs are long and sharp. IšŸ˜ˆdisposed of them safely.

      Delete
  4. Try 'The Leopard' by Giuseppe Tomas de Lampedusa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave said I should start a blog book club. I said we should call it the Polytunnel Book Club. Then I said people make excuses like the rabbit got loose so they couldn't read the book. My book for the list will be The Ghost by Robert Harris which should arrive tomorrow in my post. But I see you have already added it. I will give it a rating when I finish it. I will look out for the Steppe. I think we should really have separate blog for the Polytunnel Book Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A separate blog idea for the Polytunnel Book Club. Wow! This is getting pretty heavy!!! Cool idea though. We'd better consult Northsider Dave our polytunnel expert.

      Delete
    2. I will sit on the garden fence. Somebody offered me another polytunnel last week. Its time to go a watering in ye olde polytunnel.

      Delete
    3. Watch out for those the hose pipe cops, there's one behind every bush.

      Delete
    4. We have our own well so they will leave us alone.

      Delete
    5. Don't fall down it then or you might kick the bucket. Seriously, I'm sure it's safe!

      Delete
  6. I left a comment on your post yesterday but you have not responded to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have your friends moved to 'my' part of the Dales or lower down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, they're somewhere near Skipton. Is that near you? I can't remember it exactly but I seem to remember it's a market town with a big square and a castle. Or maybe I'm getting mixed up with Settle.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.