Sunday 8 July 2018

Two Paintings (Updated)


Black Gold  1

Black Gold  2
The third painting (now shown) is titled 'Crucifixion'.


The top painting, springs from the depths of my subconscious or my imagination and basically painted itself. I just let the paints, that is to say the colours on the brushes tell me where they wanted to go and when there was no more to do I stopped.

The next day I decided the scene was from an early stage in the evolution of a planet. For some reason (I cannot fathom it) there is a black quill 'writing' a line of 'dots' which I take to be a code.

Moving on to the second painting, I painted the idea of a planet with an object resembling a milk churn in the foreground but overflowing with a black substance which could be seen as oil. In the sea there is a lighthouse (or a candle), and in the sky there are stars. They are aids to navigation. But it seems they are now defunct for there are no ships, people or animals to be seen. Not even a sea monster.

The final painting in the triptych shows oil gushing from the ground, forming into an image of the death of the last good man and the heralding the break up of the planet. It could be our planet. It could be somewhere else in time and space. The viewer can choose either or none, and interpret the scenes as he wishes.


15 comments:

  1. Can we have any explanation to the paintings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures with excellent interpretations Gwil. You should put on a exhibition. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those kind words Dave. Putting on an exhibition sounds like hard work. I think I'll pass on that one ;-)

      Delete
    2. My whole exhibition career consists of providing the cover photo for an exhibition catalogue of artifacts made from Murano glass. It's enough!

      Delete
  3. Well I like the colours and the shapes in Picture 1. I see the surface of an earth and a sea and the absence of human life, of course. I see what I think is a drone in the first picture. I was of course drawn to oil by the black gold words. There was a series of ink drawings/paintings by Picasso that I had never seen before which he called "The Crucifixion" that I saw at the Tate recently. Your third one reminds me of these. I get the overall feeling of superiority of surface land and sea and the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the overall feeling of superiority of surface land and sea and the universe"

      I wish I'd said that. I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. Thanks Rachel.

      Delete
    2. I like that too, how Rachel described them.
      Greetings Maria x

      Delete
  4. Yes - if it were an exhibition then Rachel should have written the comments - she has described the pictures perfectly Gwil. I didn't realise you painted - I thought you were a poet. Seems you are multi-talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel has a way of putting things in a nutshell. I'm merely a humble dabbler in fields that take my fancy. Thanks, G.

      Delete
  5. What stands out to me in the last one is that the face is a different color. It could be glowing...?

    Is the oil like crude that comes from the ground or religious like oil of joy or olive oil? That would affect the meanings here quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The oil is from the under the ground. I call it black gold. I think the message in the last one painting be that there must always be a ray of hope. Thank Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent thought provoking paintings, great colour schemes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CGP, apologies for the delayed acknowledgement and my thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.