Friday 6 December 2019

Christmas Books





At this time of year my mind turns to my poetry books. 

The latest addition to my collection is Tagore's Gitanjali
His verse somehow reminds me of the work of a favourite Welsh poet - R S Thomas. 

I feel the following from Gitanjali 30  could well have been written by Thomas: 

I came out alone on my way to my tryst. But who is this that follows me in the silent dark?
I move aside to avoid his presence but I escape him not. 
He makes the dust rise from the earth with his swagger; he adds his loud voice to every word that I utter.
He is my own little self . . .

I can imagine that Retired, here from Thomas's Collected Later Poems, might have been written by a modern day Tagore. 

Not to worry myself any more
if I am out of step, fallen behind.
Let the space probes continue;
I have a different distance to travel. 
Here I can watch the night sky,
listen to how one grass blade
grates on another as member 
of a disdained orchestra.

Another book of verse I will return to is William Carlos Williams's Paterson. 

It is dangerous to leave written that which is badly written. A chance word, upon paper, may destroy the world. Watch carefully and erase while the power is still yours, I say to myself, for all that is put down, once it escapes, may rot its way way into a thousand minds . . . 

                                                                  

10 comments:

  1. I like RS Thomas Gwil. Was he a Christian Atheist? I love how he champions the peasant farmer and his love of the Welsh landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R S Thomas was the priestly poet who famously painted the interior of one of his churches black. Black as the bible black night his namesake Dylan would probably say.

      Delete
    2. Yes Gwil I know he was an Anglican priest. I just wondered if he believed in God. He seemed to be like a farmer always fighting the weather and what ever life through at him. I think Thomas Hardy was Agnostic but he still went to church.

      Delete
    3. Try again. What ever life threw at him. Sorry.

      Delete
    4. Perhaps RS was a reincarnation of the disciple known as Doubting Thomas. His catch phrase was ÄDeus Absconditus'. You can find my poem of that title on my Poet-in-Residence blog if you're interested.

      Delete
    5. Like you I'll also have to try again, Dave. 'Deus Absconditus'

      Delete
    6. I look and Not it's not!!! So you can try entering 'Poetic Directions in North Wales' in the P-i-R searchbox over there for another one. Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  2. I'd not come across Retired before, but I know Iago Prytherch well (and knew many like him, old Welsh farmers, held together with baling twine). You've sent me back to my Thomas Collected Poems 1945-1990, and the Later Poems is now on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I sent you back there. Those Prytherch farmyard poems full of phlegm, thorns, moonlit nights, deformed trees and of course the rain are wonderful creations. Many farmers like Iago were his sheep. But he could not help them. God's failed experiments he said.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.