Friday 27 April 2018

Egon Schiele and Tulln


Egon Schiele was born in Tulln, a town on the Danube, and spent his childhood there. The family lived in rooms at the local railway station where his father worked. The rooms are open to visitors daily throughout the year. 

In Tulln there is also an Egon Schiele Museum which displays 16 of his early oil paintings. It is open from April to October. 

Here is an object:  'Schoolboy and Mortality' by Gert Linker.  It is near the charnel house.  




There is an Egon Schiele trail with 13 places of interest in Tulln. One of the information boards can be found at the charnel house. Death and mortality played an important  role in the artists early life.


The 11-sided charnel house was built in the 13th century. It still has the original door. The frescos, and there are many,  were restored in 1874.






The Regentag (Rainy Day) now at anchor in the small harbour may only be visited by appointment at the town hall. A Sicilian transport ship the Regentag belonged to the Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser. He  lived, sailed and painted  on the vessel for many years.









An impressive Niebelungen Monument on the banks of the Danube is the work of Russian artist Michail Nogin. 

The website for Tulln and the surrounding area is HERE.


17 comments:

  1. Interesting information on Schiele. I like his paintings and the first essay I did at art school was on Schiele. It was sad that he died so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very sad. He was one of the several millions of victims of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1919.

      Delete
    2. I believe his sister died a few days before him. It's all very sad.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There is also a magnificent rat. I now wish I'd photographed the rat too.

      Delete
  3. I have read about the Spanish flu pandemic Gwil. Great photos. I saw the Blue Danube in Vienna, Austria and it was grey when I was there in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's brown, sometimes it's grey and sometimes it's blue, unlike the green Inn, which flows through Innsbruck.

      Delete
  4. That door is stunning. Alas, modern plastic doors will never have that allure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They built them to last in those days. That door will still be there when the plastic doors are a fading memory.

      Delete
  5. Tried to comment before... It didn't seem to work.

    I'm reminded of the wonderful place we have near here - Shandy Hall, home of Laurence Sterne. Very National Trust at first sight - garden, plant sales, tours of the house... But then you realize it's a hotbed of all things Shandean. As a result, it's a great promoter of Modernism, Dada and the avant-garde. For example, last time I was in the second hand bookshop I found and bought Ballard's The Atrocity Exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I have the same problem commenting in your direction. I.e. Wordpress. I have to jump through some hoops or find a complicated way about. The Atrocity Exhibition might keep me awake at night. I'm finding Hesse's The Glass Pearl Game soothing on the nerves, although I don't know if that's the effect of reading in German or because it's meant to be that way. 150 pps in and still haven't a clue what its really about. Maybe it has no plot. Perhaps it's just a kind of meditation.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.