Sunday 3 September 2017

A message from Dietrich Bonhoeffer?



Several years ago I was reading the story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer in a book titled 'Saints' and I discovered that Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran pastor who took the place of a man who was due to be executed at Auschwitz. 

The man whose place he took survived Auschwitz and lived a long and useful life. This story made a great impression on me. 

Later, before going to bed, I thought I would read a poem and I opened a collection of poems by W H Auden at a random page. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the words 'Poem dedicated to Dietrich Bonhoeffer' printed on the page. 

The book contained more than 300 pages and this was the first time I had opened it. 

But that is not the end of the matter. During my sleep that night I had a dream the details of which I can't recall. I only remember that a man's voice spoke to me and said: 


"The meaning of life is in death. Give it some thought."



2 comments:

  1. Very Kafkaesque. Interesting coicidences opening the poetry book. Going back to your low flying aeroplane dream, I also have a regular dream like this when my plane flies through streets, the wings missing the buildings. I am concerned about friendships in the dream, not about the plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, thank you for reading these posts. More will appear in their turn. For some reason I feel now is the right time.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.