Friday 1 September 2017

Three Quotations plus One Word



"Those dreams are true which we have in the morning, as the lamp 
begins to flicker."


One morning I read a quote from Ovid which I found in my copy of Websters - it's a weighty 1,945 page tome (3 kilos). 

I closed the book after reading two more quotes:

One from Edmund Spenser -


"The poets' scrolls will outlive the monuments of stone." 


And one from Margaret Fuller - 


"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it."


Almost immediately I had a compulsive desire to open the book again, but for what? I couldn't think of a reason. But this strange desire wouldn't go away. So I said to myself I'll close my eyes, open the book, and place my index finger on the opened page and see what it word it points to. And that's what I did. 

Here's the word: 

planchette 

a small board . . . to spell out messages . . . independently of the volition of the persons touching it




3 comments:

  1. I hope that's not true about the dreams. My morning dreams are sometimes not very good and often very vivid.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

      Delete
  2. Is there anybody there? Said the traveller.

    We shall see.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.