Monday 28 May 2018

Green grows the Irish garden


A small contribution to Northsider Dave's appeal for garden pictures.

My green corners.

Dave is a poly-tunnel expert, a writer of humorous anecdotes, and something of a rambler.  He grows his own vegetables somewhere in Ireland.

I don't have a poly-tunnel (yet!) but I know whom to consult should the need arise.


On the bare patch of earth there were sword lilies but I removed them after they'd finished flowering and planted a green bushy thing which I was told the name of but neglected to memorize. It ought to flower, I'm told. It seems to be thriving and has doubled in size in the space of 3 weeks or so.



Forecasting the weather for the gardeners needn't be a hit and miss affair. In the garden we have a green frog who sometimes carries a red and white umbrella.

The cat in a garden is a sign of fine weather.  It's 28 C at the moment.  There is thunder in the east but it shouldn't arrive here before nightfall, if it arrives at all.




16 comments:

  1. You have a fine display of green foliage of different varieties. And a contented cat for good measure. I will pop across to see Dave's blog. It is 27 C and feels like it might be stormy later but we might miss it. We have so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were two cats but the other one didn't want to be photographed. They were both having a snooze.

      Delete
  2. I've spotted and recognised: rosemary, thyme, mint, lemon verbena...and a beautiful cat:) What is your cat's name?
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to plants you are cleverer than me. i just know they are green. A colour I like. It dates from the time I had a green goalkeeper jersey when I was much younger. By the way, the cats (other hidden round the corner) are not mine but they like to drop by.

      Delete
  3. How nice to know of someone whose garden plant recollection may equal my own, which essentially is "I want something red to plant in a corner".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall refrain from saying 'great minds think alike'. Oh, just said it, ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love a green garden! Yours is wonderfully verdant, the sort of garden I long for in august!
    I shall have to go and take a photo f mine ... While there is still some green around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We collect rainwater from the roof in old saucepans and transfer the water to a large bucket. Also have a couple of watering cans for tap water. Never use a hose pipe or sprinkler. Never water in the heat of the day. A handful of compost when planting if I remember. A variety of rocks and stones near the appropriate plants to provide minerals. That's all I know, or don't know.

      Delete
  5. Thanks a lot for mentioning my blog Gwil. I like your garden. I am no expert but you could say I am obsessed with gardens and gardening. Once again thanks for joining in and showing your garden to all in Blogland.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. But you are my expert whatever they say!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Your the wordsmith and pyschedelic Rock album illustrator.

      Delete
  6. What does that frog do if it is going to be scorching hot?

    Wear a bikini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frog logic. In the heat he'd croak it but fortunately his umbrella doubles as a sunshade. He's a wise old frog.

      Delete
    2. Why did you buy that thistle? Is it a special kind?
      By the way I wanted to comment on D's blog to say I was surprised those two cyclists got down that hill with only one expletive being uttered, but I couldn't managed it. Sometimes it works, other times not.

      Delete
  7. It'll be a while before we see 28 C again, in fact it'll be a while before we see 20 C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're expecting 33 C today. Bro is down there pedaling around. He won't be happy.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.