Friday 30 November 2018

News from Bruck a.d. Mur


Through sunshine and snow.



I've been hammering the trains with my cheap November ticket!

On yesterday morning's  RailJet it was pretty crowded so I decided to sit in the restaurant. Not that I minded. In fact it made a nice change.

I had coffee, a bread roll with strawberry jam, and a glass of water for my vitamins.

And then I read the latest news in comfort and peace.




I appreciated sculptor Martin Karlik's take on the news (whether 'fake' or otherwise).

It appears to be the case in Bruck a.d. Mur, which is where I went on the train yesterday, that not everything of interest is to be found in the newspaper.

I couldn't resist taking a photograph of this trio  ---




In official news it is being reported today that Angela Merkel's Luftwaffe plane on the way to the G20 Summit in Argentina suffered a complete electronic failure and contact with Germany could only be made via mobile phone.

The flight was able to return safely to Germany and alternative transport to South America was duly arranged for the Bundeskanzlerin.

She will fly to Buenos Aries on an Iberia Airlines flight today, Friday.

As recently as October the German broadcaster DW reported on electrical problems with Merkel's plane in Indonesia.

On that occasion Finance Minister Olaf Scholz found himself stranded.

The explanation at the time was that rats had chewed through electric cables.


* * * 

To end on a seasonal note here is a photo of the town's Christmas tree.  It stands in the main square to an ancient well.

The yellow building situated in the background is the town hall.









The message carved on the side of the 17th century well is from one Hans Prasser who informs the reader that he prefers wine to water and if he drank water as willingly as he drinks wine he would be a rich man!

That may be so,  but as an inveterate  wine drinker and a man with a poetic turn of mind would he be happy drinking bottles of well water and staying at home counting his money by candlelight, forgoing the daily wine ration and the company of his jolly friends at the Stube?

I think not.



6 comments:

  1. Love the new header for your blog Gwil. Do you get grey Pandas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave, and welcome back. The 'Twins' have to go home to China in the middle of December. Pandas breed well in Vienna zoo. They have a good record of success. The last time I saw the grey panda he was with the pink elephant.

      Delete
  2. I like the trio photograph. They are good.

    I think the G20 summit should have been called off this year never to be resurrected again. It is a complete waste of time with leaders dodging each other, speaking rubbish, lies and in clichés and saying anything to score brownie points back home and playing to a media pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by those ladies the hot news spreads quickly in Bruck I think. Putin and Prince MBS were having a joke about something. Trump put something on the floor and walked off stage exit right. The sound was off but the ticker said he'd signed deals with Canada and Mexico. May was on the front row and as Merkel was still in the air in a plane full of Spaniards, lshe stole the photo show in her sky blue outfit. I had the sound turned off and I was doing a crossword puzzle so I don't really know anything more. There seems to be no end to these meetings of the good and great, no sooner has one piece of theatre ended then next performance is almost upon us.

      Delete
  3. I do envy you your November tootles Gwil. And I too love that statue trio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The November tootles , I like that. I must say I envy myself sometimes.

      I wonder what news the two women are discussing. Not the price of pork chops anyway!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.