Saturday 17 November 2018

A Day in Graz - Part 3



Away from the Kunsthalle I climbed the 260 steps to the Great Clock on the hill. It's the city's symbol. And an impressive timepiece as I will show you here. Look at the size of the people.
Small wonder Graz was elected European City of Culture in 2003.

The city has much to offer and many English ladies of a certain age were in evidence on the plateau above Graz where I dined outdoors on a terrace in sunshine. November.




Here's my lunch. It wasn't me who spilled the goulash. Honest ;-) :

But you'll note I didn't spill my beer.




Here's a message in code sent to Earth from the International Space Station by an Austrian astronaut.

The clue is Johann Stauss II's  Blue Danube Waltz, but even knowing all that I'd never be able to read even a fragment of it.

Could you?





And then there was a 'kiri' tree from the far east and a 19th cent. gunpowder  house:





And now it goes almost without saying - a pagoda:



 But best of all to my way of thinking was Graz's City of Friendship monument:



What more can I say?  I can only offer them this:

Graz. Always worth a visit. 



5 comments:

  1. I bet it looks good in winter snow. Thank you for sharing the photos. I have enjoyed the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming we get snow. The recent championships were cancelled. Yesterday in ski resorts the snow cannons which manufacture snow from water and spray it onto the ski slopes were working overtime. It looks very strange when there's a white stripe down the side of a green mountain. It wasn't like this when I came her 20 years ago. By this time of year every Austrian and his wife would've been out on the ski slopes Mrs G a sliver medal winner in slalom assures me. But look at the fires in Malibu. 1,000 people missing or dead. I guess that's a big low for the surfers who congregate for the big waves. And the stars and starlets of Hollywood too. Who remembers the Beach Boys today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful city Gwil. Lucky you to be able to visit so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice place and as you say it's easy to get to on the train which incidentally was full coming back and I found myself sitting next to a young musician who studies music at two universities simultaneously, one in Graz and the other in Vienna! She thinks nothing of commuting between the two and wants to be a music teacher so she just has to get on with it, as she said. She was also due to perform a piece by John Cage in a saxophone quartet in Wien Modern at the weekend. All kinds of people on the trains, and every one with a story. Great way to travel.

      Delete
  4. See reply on the post above.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.