Saturday 15 April 2017

They're back!




Back from Africa to same the same nesting site in Wales! 

With not a little drama and a couple of worrying adventures Mr Aran and Mrs G produced and reared two offspring in this nest last year. 

The children were ringed and are now in Africa. Hopefully they will return in a year or two when they are mature. 

The above photo is a screen shot I made earlier today. It's from the live video which is to be viewed on the Glaslyn Osprey website. 

As you can see they have carpeted their home with a layer of moss and grass. They look very pleased with themselves. 


Update: 19th April: An egg is born! 

Update: Nothing official on Glaslyn website but I just detected on their live stream Mrs G now has two eggs. 22:20 hrs 22nd April European Central Time. 

Update: 26th April: Now there are 3 eggs in the nest!  


8 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how they return? A bird - a summer visitor - was caught in the netting last Sunday at our local nature reserve and it was fledged and ringed here last year.
    And all without satnav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another nest a couple of miles from this one and an osprey returned there from Gambia where it had been photographed and its ring number confirmed. Without any gps / satnav/ tomtom / etc..

      Delete
  2. They fly up our valley on their way to and from Scotland. Last year one was seen perching in a tree by the river. I live in hope! Just tried to comment on your running blog but it flashed up a team members only message. Hope the training goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one very close up when I was walking in the Cheviots one time. It flew almost over my head, and descended towards a river behind me. That was a wonderful moment.

      No problem. Comments for bard on the run or poet in residence can be left here. I had to restrict comments on those two blogs to preserve my sanity because every time I allowed them the world and his dog moved in with lists of dubious sites.

      Thanks. The training is going well. I like the increased rest days. Keeps my energy level up and avoids injury. Many people train too much. I was guilty of that in the past.

      Delete
    2. I agree about rest. I've just taken a whole 5 days off and ran the proverbial wind at parkrun yesterday as a result. I feel refreshed. Race day coming up. 8 miles across chalk cliffs. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
    3. Good rest. And the upcoming 8 miles across chalk cliff will be wonderful. I think I feel the wind in my hair.

      Delete
  3. I am glad they are back. Life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life will go in one form or another. Some dinosaurs evolved into birds.

      It's wonderful to watch the chicks growing into fledglings and taking their first tentative 'steps'.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.