Thursday 1 March 2018

Ancient statue censored by Facebook



Is it the 1st of April today?

No, it's the 1st of March.

The date is on the newspaper.

Venus von Willendorf

The 30,000 year old figurine is to be seen in the Vienna Natural History Museum.

"We will not accept any censorship. Venus must remain naked. Not only in the museum but also in social media," said Christian Körbel, the museum's director.

Italian artist Laura Ghianda recently posted a photo of the 30,000 year old godess of fertility  on Facebook.

It was promptly censored.

A year or two ago the ancient statues of  Rome were covered up.

So as not to offend, was the official explanation.


But we are Europeans, and our statues are an important part of our history.


What the devil is going on?




8 comments:

  1. I have just put a comment on your previous post and see a coincidence has arisen. I referred to 1st April and had not seen this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are rapidly going from mad to absurd. A politician in Europe is now being criticized for swearing an oath on a bible (Breitbart News).

      Delete
  2. The world is indeed going mad Gwil. Either than or I am entering my dotage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. A few of us 'oldies' still have our wits about us! You included.

      Delete
  3. I wander here frequently from other blogs; today from Magnon. Your "etched in time and memory" comment, and your censored Venus would be my memories for today. Here, in this country, I am struck by how much is directed by fear of so much. Perception, the "consequences", danger, self aggrandizement. Here's to civilized freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. Here's to civilized freedom! I like it. Let's all raise a glass to that!

      Delete
  4. __ My first response could be considered crude by some... so I chose to withhold. Censored? Historic Idol? Hypocrisy!
    [no misspelling] _m

    censure history
    butt undress that of now
    hypocrisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial response too.
      My response now directed to the Blue 'F', the would-be controllers of our moral and artistic compass: If thine eye offend thee pluck it out.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.