Wednesday 14 March 2018

EINSTEIN=E=MC^2 (Part 2)


The exhibit known as the Einstein Museum is to be found at no. 5 Helvetiaplatz which is the address of  the Bern History Museum. 

The Einstein House visited in Part 1 of this post is situated at no. 49 Krammgasse, on the opposite side of the River Aare.  It is one tram stop from Bern's landmark clock - the Zytglogge - which was at the time of my visit hidden behind scaffolding and undergoing cleaning and maintenance. 

L'escalier aux mille miroirs

In an area of 1,000 sq m lavishly staged memorabilia, written records and film documentaries describe Einstein's life and at the same time illustrate the history of the 20th century. Films, animations, experiments, and a virtual journey through the cosmos explain Einstein's theories in a clear and easy-to-understand way. An audio guide in 9 languages is available to the visitor. 


It was time that defeated me. I had two hours but I still felt I was rushing through the exhibition. I would say that one should set aside at least three hours to take it all in.


No visit would be complete without an Einstein quotation to take away. I jotted down this one: Suspicion is the mother of perception. 

And this telling one from Elsa, his wife:
I wish you had my worries! 

The quotes were on the covers of a couple Time magazines; from 1929 and 1930 respectively.

Munich 1880 - 1894

As a passionate beer drinker I was pleased to learn some cheery beer drinking history - the Einstein family's electrical firm was first firm to illuminate the famous Munich October Beer Festival with electric lights.  (I bet you can win yourself a pint down at the pub with that one Northsider Dave! - we're very educational here you know!)


But things were about to change.

Princeton 1933 - 1955

The time came when the Germans decided they didn't like Albert Einstein and his ilk, even though the family were part of their beloved Munich Beer Festival.

It was in Munich, and through his tirades in the town's Bierkellers and the streets that a certain Herr Hitler, a man who had renounced his Austrian citizenship, came to the forefront of German politics, and eventually into power with a classic false flag operation headed by friend Göring - the Reichstag Fire. 

Albert Einstein went to America.  His final act was to sign the Russell-Einstein Manifesto for Peace which he did seven days before he died.


Here I am sitting with Albert Einstein. We are waiting for the bears. There are four bears in Bern. Mum, dad and their two cubs. Maybe they have names but if they have I have no idea what they are. I forgot to ask the nice lady who showed me a sleeping bear on her monitor.

I wonder if Daddy Bear is called Albert?

In the museum I enjoyed counting muons.  They come from outer space and are very tiny and make sparks in a dark box when they arrive. They are real ETs!  I saw that 10,624 muons had entered  the dark box (I think since 9am). Another trap for the muons is somewhere on the Jungfraujoch. Because it's much higher than Bern more muons can find it. 15,914 was the reading on the counter.

Einstein does not have a grave. His ashes were scattered at an undisclosed location. Princeton is likely.


11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post and the photos very much. Einstein would never have dared to question the physics of Newton if it weren't for David Hume, because of Hume's skepticism essay, and went on to discover relativity. Hume said "the future may not be like the past".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The future may not be like the past.

      I think the future like climbing up a ladder. Step by step we go. Sometimes we slip back a few rungs, sometimes we pause, but overall we keep on going in an upwards direction. Where the ladder leads nobody can say. It seems there's no end to it. What awaits our race? Will we fall off the ladder and that will be the end of us or will we keep on climbing and learning? The answer is in our own hands.

      Delete
    2. What was that?

      I think a muon just zoomed through me ;-)

      Delete
    3. Hawking was born exactly 300 years to the day from Galileo's death, 8th January 1642 - 8th January 1942, and died exactly 139 years to the day from Einstein's birth, 14th January 1879 - 14th January 2018. Isaac Newton was born 4 days too early to join this club of strange coincidences - 4th January 1643 - which is probably just as well, otherwise I think we'd have to believe God was playing a trick on us ;-)

      Delete
  2. __ Universal Time; Earth, a microsecond.

    four powers
    steps along each path
    our clock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Magyar. Time flies, time crawls.
    If you look away and look back at a click with second hand that ticks off the seconds you will see that the first takes much longer than second one. At least it does in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at a clock / the first second takes

      either I've got dyslexia or my fingers have a mind of their own or predictable text is playing up again. ;-)

      have a good long day anyway.

      Delete
    2. Ticks talk; while the clocks click; time tolls.

      __ I agree, eyes over exaggerate that 'first-stroke' of the 'second-counter' hand. Smiles, Gwilym!

      Delete
  4. Great photo of you sitting next to Albert.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.